Tony R. Miller is a Co-Founder of Troppito + Miller, LLC, and is Currently a Named Member of Troppito Miller Griffin, LLC, Focusing His Missouri and Kansas Law Practice on:
- Driving While Intoxicated (DWI)
- Criminal Law
- Traffic Defense
- Injury Claims, including Workers’ Compensation matters
Legal Honors Received:
- Tony has been recognized as a “Super Lawyer” in Kansas and Missouri. To be recognized as a “Super Lawyer”, Tony was voted by his lawyer peers and then selected by Super Lawyers as one of the top 5% of all lawyers in Kansas and Missouri.
- Tony has been recognized by the “Kansas City Business Journal” in the “Best of the Bar” list.
Tony is an Ex-Prosecutor:
- In 2001, Tony served as an Assistant Prosecutor before the City of Kansas City, Missouri Municipal Court immediately after law school.
- In 2003 and 2004, Tony served as an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney in the Prosecutor’s Office of Jackson County, Missouri.
- In 2013, Tony was appointed by the Presiding Judge to serve as a Special Prosecuting Attorney in the Sixteenth Judicial Circuit of the State of Missouri (Jackson County, Missouri).
Additional Professional Experience:
- Tony was selected to be the law clerk to The Honorable Marco A. Roldan of the Sixteenth Judicial Circuit of the State of Missouri (Jackson County, Missouri).
- Tony practiced law with the Kansas City firm of Yonke & Pottenger, LLC where he focused in the legal areas of plaintiff’s personal injury, criminal defense, and claimant’s worker’s compensation.
- He graduated from the University of Missouri – Kansas City School of Law in 2001 with a Juris Doctorate.
- He graduated from Baker University in 1998 with a degree in Political Science.
- Educational Honors: He was on the Dean’s List, which means he maintained a 3.5 grade point average or higher in law school for each semester that he was recognized.
- Licensed to practice law in Missouri in 2001.
- Licensed to practice law in Kansas in 2002.
- Best of the Bar
- Super Lawyers
- Military Matters Volunteer
- Missouri Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (MACDL)
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys (MATA)
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association (KCMBA)
- Eastern Jackson County Bar Association
- UMKC Law Alumni Association (Past President / Member)
- Missouri Bar – YLS Council (former elected member)
Political Career and Professional Positions:
- Tony was elected to the Jackson County, Missouri Legislature (3rd District – At Large) and served two terms from 2015 through 2022. He was chair of the Land Use Committee where he had legislative oversight of zoning and Parks + Rec.
- Tony served as a member of the Board of Trustees of the Little Blue Valley Sewer District from 2015 through 2022.
- He served from 2009 to 2013 as the representative from the legal profession on the Jackson County Drug Commission; spending the last two years as the Chairperson.
- In 2011, he was named to the Jackson County Prosecutor Advisory Committee to assist the County Executive in the selection of the Prosecuting Attorney due to a vacancy in the office. Similarly, he was named to the Jackson County Sheriff Advisory Committee in 2016 to assist the County Executive in the selection of the Sheriff due to a vacancy in the office.
- Tony served on the Law Alumni Board of the University of Missouri – Kansas City School of Law as President for the 2017-2018 term.
- He is a member of the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, the Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, and served as an elected representative of District 3 to the YLS Council of the Missouri Bar.
- In 2013, Tony served as a Co-Chair for the Calvary Community Outreach Network’s Holiday Harvest fundraising drive.
- In 2014, Tony Co-Chaired the Carnival Fundraiser for CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates).
- In 2018, he fundraised for the Christo Rey High School through his participation in Dancing with the KC Stars. For a good laugh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdlzfK4n-I0.
- In 2022, Tony successfully campaigned for the passage of the renewal of the Children’s Services Fund of Jackson County (CSF) and was subsequently awarded the Champions of Children Award by the CSF.
- In 2022, Tony assisted with the efforts of the cycling community and Jackson County government to put on the inaugural “Bright Lights for Charlie” charity bicycle ride to help the family of a cyclist who was struck and killed by a hit-and-run motorist.
- Tony is married to Bethany Miller, a local attorney, and they live in Jackson County with their daughters.
Services and Results:
- Although statistically not probable, Tony continues to win Administrative Alcohol Hearings by challenging insufficient evidence. While the facts of each case are different, drivers lose over 90% of these hearings on an annual basis.
- Saved the driving privileges of numerous drivers who refused alcohol testing.
- Used expert witnesses to successfully challenge the breath test results of DWI/DUI clients.
- Worked to secure the recall of warrants for numerous criminal and traffic clients.
- Negotiated numerous Felony DWI/DUI charges to be resolved as Misdemeanors.
- Negotiated the amendment of DWI/DUI charges to non-alcohol charges at disposition.
- Secured alternative dispositions for DWI/DUI and Drug clients that include specialty court assignments that better meet their rehabilitation needs.
- Secured alternative dispositions in DWI/DUI cases such as community service in lieu of jail.
- Successfully appealed, in civil court, the Substance Abuse Traffic Offender Program (SATOP) course assignments of clients who received unfavorable class assignments and had their requirements reduced.
- Negotiated the Dismissal of Minor in Possession of Alcohol (MIP) charges.
- Felony Assault (Juvenile) charges dismissed after preparing the matter for trial, including the use of deposition subpoenas.
- Robbery charge dismissed after proving a case of mistaken identity.
- Represented clients in circuit court appeals of municipal convictions.
- Worked to restore the driving privileges of numerous clients by reviewing driving records and having prior convictions for traffic offenses set-aside and removed.
- Assisted numerous licensed professionals with drug and alcohol charges; including doctors, nurses, teachers, pilots, and law enforcement officers.
- Represented a pilot before an FAA disciplinary panel related to a DWI/DUI charge.
- Provided consultations about how to answer questions on employment and licensing related forms after a case is resolved.
- Secured numerous policy limit settlements for car wreck injury clients.
- Secured numerous awards for Workers’ Compensation clients, including the award of future medical care.
- Served as local counsel in several civil and criminal matters for out-of-town lawyers who needed someone with experience in Missouri and Kansas courts.
- Regularly assist with finding counsel for people with unique legal matters not handled by TMG. Tony and his colleagues at TMG have a vast network of relationships in the legal community; both locally and across the country.